You’ll achieve the best results if you and your plastic surgeon communicate openly and work together to achieve realistic goals. Understanding of your goals, expectations, and motivation is essential to a successful partnership between you and your surgeon, in order to determine if plastic surgery is the right choice for you.
Here are a few questions you may consider asking during your consultation:
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Are you a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons?
- Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
- Which hospital do you have privileges with?
- Do you offer office-based surgical options?
- How many procedures of this type have you performed?
- Where and how will you perform my procedure?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- How are complications handled?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the outcome of my surgery?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for each procedure and what results are reasonable for me?